La Mariposa

La mariposa = butterfly "If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new is here." 2 Corinthians5:17

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

1 dead in the attic

The other day, a co-worker saw my New Orleans bumper sticker and asked me if that's where I'm from. Apparently she's from New Orleans too. And taught at the preschool I attended.

Here's some pictures from last time I went back home:

A plantation that we visited.

The fish the next door neighbor caught...he was very proud!

At my Grandmother's house. Above her sink she taped a picture of my nephew laughing. Under the picture she wrote: You can do it!
On rough days she says she likes looking at the picture because it makes her smile and she remembers that God will help her get through the day.

While unpacking books at my new place, I came across a book my mom had given the last time I visited called 1 dead in the attic. It's a collection of comumns that Chris Rose wrote after Hurricane Katrina for the local paper, The Times Picayune. Here's some excerpts:

"You probably already know that we talk funny and listen to strange music and eat things you'd probably hire an exterminator to get out of your yard." (p5)

"Of course, try telling some poor sap down in St. Bernard Parish who has never heard of Southern Decadence and who goes to Bible study every Wednesday night that he lost his house and his job and his grandmother died in a flooded nursing home because God was angry at a bunch of bearded guys in dresses over on Dumaine Street.

Collateral damage, I guess. The question that arises, of course, is that if Shanks' prophecy is true, how come Plaquemines, St. Bernard, the East and Lakeview are gone, but the French Quarter is still standing?"(p34)

"He was from Atlanta and had moved here to be with her because she is a New Orleans girl and New Orleans girls never live anywhere else and even if they do, they always come back." (p67)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home